Recipe: Rich Salsa
Summary: A fantastic salsa that’s not too hot! A great way to use up end of the season tomatoes, peppers, and onions.
- 8 c. chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1/3 c. jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 1/4 c. chopped onion, red or white
- 9 cloves minced garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 c. white vinegar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. tomato sauce
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 T. fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Combine ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Cool and store in refrigerator, or serve with chips.
- Makes about 8 pints. This recipe freezes well.
If you would like to can this salsa:
- Ladle hot salsa into prepared pint mason jars.
- Process 20 minutes at 10 lbs. pressure in pressure canner according to manufacturers directions.
- Allow to cool.
- When pressure has gone down and canner is safe to open, remove jars and place jars on top of a doubled up towel to rest for 24 hours.
- Check for good seal and remove screw cap.
- Label and store in cool, dry place.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time (duration): 5
Diet type: Vegan
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 16
Meal type: snack