Recipe: Thai Coconut Soup with Cilantro and Lemongrass
Summary: A flavorful and elegant soup! This is a variation on traditional Thai coconut soup, a warming side dish or main course. It is good when served alongside Pad Thai.
- 5 cups Chicken bouillon or chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups tofu (optional), in squares
- 1 & 1/2 cup mushrooms, pref. shittake
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. thai red curry sauce or garlic chili sauce
- 3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lime squeezed
- small bunch of lemongrass
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. garlic
- salt to taste
- Sautee the mushrooms and garlic first, then add the other ingredients.
- Beat the eggs and add them close to the end, stirring as you mix them in.
- The lemongrass is delicious, but too coarse to eat: it is best to infuse a bunch in a tea infuser, or tie a stalk of it together and cook the soup with it, then remove before serving. Like all soups, this one is versatile, and it is best to taste it as you go along in order to find out what combination and ratio suits you. For those who prefer spicier flavoring, more red curry sauce is necessary.
Cooking time (duration): 35
Diet (other): Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner