Recipe: Green Tomatillo Salsa
Summary: Tomatillos are also known as husk tomatoes. Once hard to find, they are now common in grocery stores and farmer’s markets.
- 1/2 lb. fresh tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1/2 med. white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 serrano, jalapeno, or banana pepper depending on the heat you desire
- 3 T. chopped cilantro
- 1/2 t. sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
- In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook tomatillos over high heat till
barely tender, 3-5 minutes. Drain and place in a food processor or blender.
- Process to a coarse puree.
- In a medium bowl, combine pureed tomatillos with onion, garlic, peppers,cilantro, sugar and salt. Stir to mix well.
- Serve right away or set aside at room temperature for up to 3 hours.
Cooking time (duration): 15
Diet (other): Low calorie, Gluten free, Raw
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: hors d’oerves