Recipe: Tarragon, Lemon Verbena and Honeydew Sorbet
Summary: Light, refreshing and delicately flavored – a perfect summertime dessert
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 to 1/3 packed fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/4 c. packed, fresh, chopped lemon verbena leaves
- pinch salt
- 2 cups peeled and seeded honeydew melon cubes (about 1 inch in diameter).
- Bring water and sugar to a simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to boil (you want the mixture to just barely boil–have small bubbles on the surface),
- Reduce heat, and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, put herbs in a glass bowl. Now, remove 1/2 cup of the hot syrup from the pan, and pour over the herbs.
- Cover the bowl, and let stand until cool. let the remaining syrup cool also. (can refrigerate).
- Pour the herb syrup through a fine sieve, discarding herbs.
- Puree honeydew melon cubes in a blender, add the remaining cooled sugar syrup plus a pinch of salt.
- Combine the melon syrup mixture with the herb syrup.
- Refrigerate until cold, then freeze in an ice cream maker.
- When frozen, transfer to an airtight container and retain in freezer.
Cooking time (duration): 2 hours
Diet type: Vegan
Diet (other): Reduced fat, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert