Recipe: Bacon Facoccia
Summary: Serve as an appetizer with a glass of white wine, or as an accompaniment to soup and salad.
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups flour, or more if needed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 of a red or yellow onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- fresh ground pepper
- To prepare dough, combine yeast, 1 tsp sugar, and warm water in bowl.
- Let it sit until it becomes foamy.
- Stir in olive oil, salt, and enough flour to form a smooth, elastic dough.
- Let rise until double in size.
- Punch down the dough and roll out on an oiled pizza pan.
- Let sit while oven warms to 450 degrees. Bake until slightly browned on top, about 15 min.
- Remove from oven, brush with oil, and top with bacon, onion, parsley, fresh ground pepper, and cheese.
- Slip the focaccia off the pan directly on the oven rack so the bottom crust can brown.
- Bake until cheese in melted. Remove from oven by sliding baking sheet under it.
- Slice into 3″ squares.
Cooking time (duration): 25
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: hors d’oerves