Recipe: Hearty Chicken Pot Pie
Summary: This is a classic pot pie, only a bit more special with its delicate puff pastry crust. Easy and oh so filling!
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups cooked and cubed chicken
- 16 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 onion chopped fine
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 of a package of frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Spread the frozen hash brown potatoes in the bottom of a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Top with the chicken and frozen vegetables.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter then add flour stirring quickly until it’s incorporated.
- Add the milk and chicken broth and stir constantly until mixture thickens.
- Add cream, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour mixture over chicken and vegetables.
- Roll the sheet of thawed puff pastry out to 9×13″.
- Cut slits in the pastry then place on top of casserole.
- Bake 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving..
Thyme, English (common)
Cooking time (duration): 1 1/2 hours
Diet type: none
Diet (other): high protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner