Care and Planting Instructions

Most greens are cold tolerant and can be planted in well-drained soil in early spring or for a fall crop in late summer. Choose a location in full sun to part shade. Greens prefer even moisture and weeds can choke out small plants, so be sure to weed thoroughly. Some greens may be harvested when small (baby) while other are harvested when they reach maturity. Most greens do not do well during hot, dry weather although there are some varieties that are heat tolerant like swiss chard and mizuna.

Harvest greens in the morning and cool quickly. Rinsing in cool water then patting dry and placing in a Ziploc baggie will help increase longevity. A damp paper towel placed in the baggie will help keep the humidity up and keep your harvest looking its best. Another method is to invest in a salad spinner. Harvested leaves are placed in the center portion where they can be washed and then spun dry. The container also doubles as a great greens keeper.

Greens

beta blend greens mix
Beta Blend Greens mix
Cold hardy. Beautiful baby leaves of beet
and chard varieties. Tender and delicious.
Harvest 40 days.
mesclun mix greens
Mesclun Greens mix
Cold hardy. A blend of mustard greens and
lettuces. A bountiful mix of color and flavor.
Harvest 28 days.
brassica rapa var. japonica
Mizuna Greens
Vigorous and easy to grow. Tolerates heat.
75% green leaves with purple tinged veins, 25% purple
serrated leaves with a cabbage/mustard like flavor.
Harvest 40 days.

Greens¬†culture –

Greens are generally the foliage and leaves of edible plants and there are a wide array of flavor and textures. Easy to grow they increase the diversity in your diet.

Greens add interest and flavor to any salad but many are also used cooked. Some of the varieties that are usually eaten fresh are: cress, lettuce, mache, mesclun, and spinach. Those that are better when cooked include: collards, kale, mustard, and turnips. Some varieties are eaten either way: like arugula and swiss chard.

Here is a good rule of thumb in regards to greens — Thin leaved greens are usually added to salads or used on sandwiches. Varieties that have heavy, thick leaves are tastier when you remove the rib. Thick leaved greens are usually chopped and cooked in stir-fries, or cooked down slowly in broth or soups. Just remember the quicker you cook leafy greens the more nutrients they retain.